Mariah Carey is heralded for her whistle register, which is the highest the human voice is capable of reaching. But Minnie Riperton perfected the singing technique years before and was best known for her five-octave vocal range. The whistling can be heard on her biggest hit to date, “Lovin’ You.” The infectious ballad was originally created as an ode to her daughter, Maya Rudolph, of Bridesmaids and Saturday Night Live fame. However, before she could become a household name, she died in 1979 at the age of 31 from breast cancer.
- Press Release: Freeport NAACP Branch Recognizes Importance of Graphic Arts in the Black Community May 15, 2023
- League of Women Voters and Local NAACP Host FHN Presentation on Regional Healthcare Needs, Including Emphasis on Minority Care March 23, 2023
- NAACP Freeport Celebrates Black History Every Day! March 2, 2023
- Ruby Bridges: Black History Month Spotlight February 28, 2023
- Ida B. Wells: Black History Month Spotlight February 27, 2023
- Wally Amos: Black History Month Spotlight February 26, 2023