Dr. Patricia Bath, an ophthalmologist and laser scientist, was not only the first female African-American doctor to patent a medical device but also the first person to invent a surgery that greatly advanced treatment for cataracts. Dr. Bath invented the Laserphaco Probe in 1981 which used lasers to treat cataracts more precisely and less painfully. The invention was able to recover vision for people who had been blind or vision impaired for decades.
- Press Release: Freeport NAACP Branch Recognizes Importance of Graphic Arts in the Black Community May 15, 2023
- League of Women Voters and Local NAACP Host FHN Presentation on Regional Healthcare Needs, Including Emphasis on Minority Care March 23, 2023
- NAACP Freeport Celebrates Black History Every Day! March 2, 2023
- Ruby Bridges: Black History Month Spotlight February 28, 2023
- Ida B. Wells: Black History Month Spotlight February 27, 2023
- Wally Amos: Black History Month Spotlight February 26, 2023